The state of Illinois defines child support as a payment that is made by a noncustodial parent to the custodial parent of minor children that is designed to provide financial support for the child(ren)’s living expenses. Child support can be awarded in the event that two parents are not married when paternity is established, and it is also awarded in cases of divorce once parents separate and one parent becomes the primary custodian of the minor children.

How Much Child Support Will Be Awarded

Custodial parents often worry that they will not receive enough child support to financially provide for the minor children after a separation, while noncustodial parents are concerned that they will be ordered by the court to pay too much. In DuPage, Kane and Kendall counties, there are a variety of factors that are considered when determining how much child support will be awarded, including:

    • The income of both parents
    • The financial needs of the child(ren)
    • The custody arrangement

The court will attempt to award a child support payment that is fair and their primary concern is the welfare and well-being of the minor child(ren). However, as a parent, it is important that your own rights are represented as well. After a separation, it is crucial to discuss your child support case with a qualified Illinois child support lawyer.

Working With a DuPage Child Support Attorney

A seasoned child support attorney in Illinois will evaluate the various aspects of your case much in the same way the court will. Your attorney will help you calculate roughly how much child support you can expect to be awarded or required to pay, and will help you gather supporting documentation for your case.

Having an attorney on your side throughout the child support process can influence what you are required to pay or how much you will receive in support. For example, if you are the noncustodial parent and the court orders a payment that is unreasonable for you given your circumstances, your attorney can illustrate to the court using supporting documentation that your child support payment should be lowered. Alternatively, if you are a custodial parent and the child support payment that is ordered for the noncustodial parent seems too low for their income, your attorney can help you illustrate to the court that their income is higher and therefore, the support payment should be higher as well.

Contact Jennifer S. Wiesner Today:

Attorney Wiesner is available now to consult with you regarding your child support case. Contact the office today at (630) 562-2300 for a consultation to discuss your next move.